Friday 4 April 2008

You Have To Work Hard To Increase Sales

It is a general and widely accepted belief that in order to increase sales, hard work is required. You must accept that you think alike. If the results aren’t foreseeable, you feel you might need to push the limits further. But irrespective of the efforts put in, there comes a point of diminishing sales. Further efforts will only bring down the sales volume. The fact is that sales are not dependent on the amount of efforts that you put in.


When a child, I was asked by my Dad to do a chore, and that obviously required me to close the gate. However, despite my vehement attempts at closing the gates, they would open as soon as I would leave the place. Also, there was no way I could go around seeking for help, as there were animals around who were witnesses to my desperate attempts at latching the gate, so they would have had some tricks in their mind if I left. After a lot of struggle and frustration at this task, my big brother came up to me. When he came, I was sitting at the gate, keeping it closed with my body’s support, almost in tears. Then, my brother came, just flipped the latch, closed it, and went away. I realized that the latch was upside down, which I didn’t notice when I was trying to latch the gate. This made me even more frustrated since the task could have been done so easily, only if I had paid attention at the key area.


The same goes for sales. You need not work inhumanly hard to increase sales. If things are constantly going against you, there is a clear need that you require a little help from outside, just like it happened with me. With increased frustration, if you try to push the boundaries further, with the hope of getting something good out of it, be rest assured, that all your attempts to succeed in a failing situation will be in vain!


If you are at the point of saturation of frustration, you are obviously overlooking a simple thing which can be done to increase your sales. You may not be aware of it, but your desperate attempts to increase sales might actually be acting as a catalyst in reducing it. Also, under such circumstances, you are unaware of where you are going wrong, though outsiders might consider it as an obvious and in-the-face error. So the fact is that there is something wrong that lies in your approach. This could be the manner in which you attract customers, how you communicate with them, your relationship with current clients, and many other things. Small changes can result in a big way to your sales. The moment you realize what this change is all about, you are likely to be even more frustrated since you were overlooking the obvious! Much like what happened with me during my childhood days.